What if I have an unpermitted ADU?

An unpermitted ADU can make it difficult to sell or refinance your property. If an unpermitted unit is discovered and is under construction, the county will issue a stop work order. If the building is complete, it will need an as-built permit, which has extra fees and requires substantial physical work on the building to assess the condition and details.

For unpermitted ADUs built before January 1, 2018, state law says a permit to legalize cannot be denied even if there is a violation of ADU laws or building standards, unless it is a “health and safety concern” or if the building is deemed “substandard” by state Health and Safety Code.

Get all your questions answered.


Tell us your thoughts!

Please give us feedback about ADUs in our area. If you leave your contact info, we may be able to get back to you with more information. 

If you’re looking for specific advice or information about your property and ADU, please use the contact information for El Dorado County or the City of Placerville at the bottom of this website. 

Skip to content